School History

Leckaun N.S. was constructed for what was felt to be a declining agricultural community in 1958. Demographic decline predictions for once were wrong in Leitrim. The school numbers have remained in the low to high 50's since the 1980's. The idyllic scenery has attracted many young couples to build in the school catchment area. These commute to work in Sligo or Manorhamilton, both 7 miles from the school.
Historically Newtownmanor had 3 schools. These were all one teacher units. In the 1940's Moneyduff closed and its residual pupils transferred to Magurk N.S. or Newtownmanor N.S. which moved to Leckaun N.S. in 1958 and in 1970 the third Newtownmanor one teacher unit Gortnaskeagh amalgamated with Leckaun N.S.
The principal of Gortnaskeagh N.S. Mrs. Agnes McPartlan moved to Leckaun N.S. as a privileged assistant, to work with Mr Seamus Cullen Principal of Leckaun N.S. Subsequent to Mr Cullen's appointment as principal in St. Clares N.S. Manorhamilton. 
Tony McPartlan arrived as principal in the mid 1970's. He in turn became principal of St. Clares in August 1989 and was replaced as Leckaun N.S. principal by the present incumbent Gerard Reilly. 
Agnes McPartlan retired after 40 years teaching in Newtownmanor, in August 1993, Rosaleen Dolan became the assistant teacher in Leckaun N.S. subsequent to her retirement in June 2011. 

Joanne Gilmartin was appointed to Leckaun N.S. in September 2011.
Leckaun National School Crest

Our Motto states:

Tá gach dálta tábhachtach